2016 Pokemon VGC Format and Key Surprises
Pokemon VGC Officials have announced the new format for the 2016 Video Game Championship season. The new addition to the mix is going to change up the competition completely!
Here are the basic rules:
· There are time limits for battle, which all vary within different levels. Regional Championships and above battles will have a 90 second team preview where each side can scout their opponents team and counteract each other. A 45 second move timer is allowed to give enough time for trainers to make a logical move without rushing or feeling too pressured. Each battle will have a 15 minute time limit… otherwise people could stall with Recover and Roost forever.
· All Pokemon must have the blue pentagon (which symbolizes that Pokemon have been obtained in generation 5 or after) video games. Any Pokemon that comes in via Poke Transporter is not permitted.
· The only banned item a Pokemon can not hold is Soul Dew. Other than that, no duplicate items are allowed in a trainer’s party.
· These legendary Pokemon are all banned from being on a trainer’s team: Keldeo, Victini, Arceus, Shaymin, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Celebi, Mew, Kyurem, Shaymin, Diancie, Hoopa, Genesect, and Meloetta.
Now here comes the big plot twist. There are 16 banned legendary Pokemon this year… and 15 new mythical Pokemon on the list that are permitted.
· Each Pokemon trainer is allowed to have only two of the following beasts on their team: Reshiram, Palkia, Dialga, Yveltal, Groudon, Zygarde, Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, Xerneas, Giratina, Rayquaza, Kyurem, Zekrom, and Kyogre.
This new lineup of permitted legends is sure to have top Pokemon trainers all around the world re-thinking their strategies compared to last season. I will do my best to participate in local VGC events this upcoming season. I am also happy that I have been training with my legendary Pokemon a lot prior to this announcement. 2016 is going to be one heck of a year for VGC competitors and the audience!